Thursday, June 30, 2011

To remove or not?

So, here I am at almost 2:00am on a Thursday morning... when I really should be asleep... wide awake, in pain and contemplating the inevitable. Before I gave birth to EOR, I never once had a digestive issue, this included my pregnancy. I never once even had heartburn before. After EOR was here... it was awful. I started waking up at night with an awful pain in my chest/abdominal region that could last for hours. I saw doctors who told me that it was just indigestion and was told that nothing could be done since I was nursing. Come to find out, it wasn't indigestion... In February, and after countless attacks... I found out that I have pregnancy induced gallstones. No one ever told me that could happen. Since February I have been trying different methods to ease the symptoms to no avail. I have been working out since EOR was born, and although cardio three-four times a week has helped some... it definitely doesn't keep the attacks at bay. I've tried limiting my diet too. According to research I have done, it helps if you cut out breads, meat and dairy from your diet. This veggie only diet only lasted for a few days... lol... I was miserable and if I was miserable already from the pain, then it didn't really seem worth it. I've also nixed certain foods from my diet. I no longer eat gassy foods like broccoli (my favorite veggie), beans etc. This has been the roughest 11 months for me... because if you know me at all... you know how much I LOVE food. I hate not knowing when I am going to have an attack... or what foods may trigger it... because seriously I can go weeks without an attack and then.. BOOM... I can have an attack every night for a week... and they can last from 15 minutes to 5+ hours.
I know that I probably need to have my gallbladder removed.... and I have had laparoscopies before... I am just scared about the statistics. According to a lot of information that I have read, cholycystectomy surgery is only 60% effective in removing the painful symptoms. Those odds aren't good enough for me. I don't want to be in that 40%.... but I'm starting to think that maybe I should just go for it. And everyone, from family members to coworkers are telling me that I need to have the surgery... However, since my gallbladder isn't technically "diseased" I don't know if the surgery will be beneficial.

I just need some more advice on this issue. Anyone had this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment